images (2)

If you have been scheduled for an elective surgery, I tell you, the days leading to that day is pure torture. No matter what the procedure may be, you can’t help but be apprehensive as the date nears. I had two days before my scheduled operation and I was a nervous wreck.

I surprisingly have a lot of energy when I’m nervous. When I was still in school, I usually have the urge to do general cleaning on exam days. So before I crack the books to study, I spend at least two hours cleaning to release the tension. That’s how I cope and its still how I cope until now.

The day before my surgery, I was on day shift at the hospital and I spent the best part of the morning cleaning and arranging the nurse’s station. That sure surprised my staff mates as they haven’t seen me like that before.

The day of the surgery, I woke up at 4 am. That early and I couldn’t go back to sleep afterwards. And even after venting all that energy yesterday, I still made time to do my laundry a few hours before preparing for my appointment.

Oh yes! I was definitely nervous.

When I got to the hospital, there was a woman at the reception, saying how nervous she was that her surgery got cancelled for the day. She said that she thought she might not have been cleared for the operation that’s why it was cancelled. I was listening to their conversation the entire time because, there was really nothing else to do while I was waiting for my turn. At the back of my mind, I was already wondering if my procedure would be cancelled as well. And as much as I was so nervous to do this, I felt that I didn’t want to be rescheduled because I would have to go through all the apprehension once again. And I do not want to.

When it was my turn at the reception, the first thing I said was: “Is my surgery cancelled too?”

Sadly yes. According to the Glenn, one of the nurses at counseling, they had machine trouble and are trying to fix it. He said that he’ll reschedule and inform me anytime this week. And since my work schedule can’t be spontaneous, I opted instead to reschedule on a specific day next week. I figured that whatever trouble they have will definitely be fine by next week.

The waiting is awful and I would have to do all that again next week. My Mama said that the Lord probably meant for that to happen because I was all nervous and perhaps He thought I needed more time to prepare myself.


Sigh! Well, it better push through next week.