I had my surgery last Tuesday, September 22, 2015. I was due at the clinic at 8 a.m. and I headed there early as it was a weekday and traffic would be terrible. The night before they called me up to say if it would be alright with me to be reschedule at 8:30 a.m. instead of at 12 noon. As I wanted to get his over with, I said yes.

I got there at exactly 8 a.m.. There were two interns waiting for me when I arrived. They were assigned on my case and they would take me inside. As it turns out, I was the only person scheduled for a surgery that day. It made me feel a bit relieved because that way, they wouldn’t need to rush to assist another patient and I would have their full attention.

They escorted me inside and took their initial assessments. After they gave me time to say goodbye to my Mom, I was the brought into another room where I changed into an OR gown. Then I entered the OR suite where they asked me to wash my face with Betadine. Boy, it’s one thing to have that solution on your hands but to scrub it to your face makes the scent much more strong.

After making sure that I was ready, (they were kind enough to let me use the lavatory and to have a drink of water), they brought me into the OR suite.

It was a big suite. The OR table looked like a dentist’s chair which can be pulled back into a bed. Other than that the place looked like any other operating room. Luckily, they had a radio on (and even luckier that it was on my favorite station) which was what I was hoping for because silence during the surgery with only the doctor’s voice asking for the instruments, might freak me out. The surgery would last for an hour and if there’s one thing I do not want to be locked down with, it’s with my crazy thoughts.

Dr. R.M. arrived shortly and he talked with me for a bit to alleviate my fears. Then they positioned me on the bed and applied the local anesthetic. When my eye was finally sedated, they draped me and the surgery began. We started at around 8:45 a.m.

I didn’t feel any pain during the procedure and Dr. R.M. was kind enough to frequently check on me if I truly didn’t feel anything. He also included me in the conversation so I didn’t feel left out thus keeping my thoughts and anxieties at bay. He even joked about me singing beneath the drapes which would be an amazing feat for someone who was undergoing surgery. I didn’t bother mentioning that during my tooth surgery a couple of years ago, I amazed my dentist by sleeping through the 3 hour operation.

We were done exactly an hour after. Dr. R.M. gave me a few more instructions on my pain medications and on my first post-op doctor’s visit. Then I was pressure patched and ready to go home. I felt a bit woozy when I got up. In fact, the whole left side of face still felt numb. I had this funny image of Thor hitting me with the Mjolnir and I wouldn’t feel anything. It was that numb. I later found out that the numbness came with a cost.

I was starving when we got home so my mother prepared a quick lunch. As I was waiting, I took a tablet of Mefenamic Acid thinking that would suffice (I know, silly me). I ate only a little as I felt like my head start to get heavy even more and the pain becoming more profound. I went to lie down for a bit thinking I would just sleep off the pain.

Sleep didn’t help. I mean, it would have if I fell asleep but I didn’t. My head was so painful and I could actually feel the anesthesia wearing off. It has the same feeling as standing on your head and going back upright and have all the blood drain out of it. It was so painful I vomited 4 times. It was between the 2 hour ordeal that I took Arcoxia to help. Sadly, the pain was too much for my ever reliable Mefenamic Acid.

Sleep finally came and I embraced it gratefully. I woke up at around 5 p.m with the party in my head a bit under control. In the past I’ve been through multiple abrasions in my cornea which was the hardest part I thought I had to go through, but that post-op pain is making me think otherwise. That was certainly one of the most painful things I’ve ever experienced in my entire existence.

Overall, I would have to say that I was glad my surgery got postponed because I was less anxious than I was the week before. I didn’t cry anymore and I felt truly ready and felt peaceful in my heart. My doctor says that the surgery went very well. I have him to thank for that but I also would like to give a shout-out to my incredible nurses, Jorgie and Hazel, as well as my interns, Caius and Julia, for making me feel very comfortable and cared for.

inxs: The DJ on the radio played an amazing playlist too which included ‘Brave’ by Sara Bareilles and Coldplay’s ‘The Scientist’.